Posterior Crossbite occur between the back teeth. One or more upper back teeth teeth bite on the inside of the lower teeth. This can occur with a single tooth or multiple teeth. Early correction of a crossbite is recommended due to difficulties in biting and chewing and sometimes speech difficulties. Crossbites are usually corrected using expanders (RPE) which are usually placed in children but in the right circumstances can also be placed in adults.
Crossbite should be corrected because it can:
- cause premature wear of the teeth
- cause gum disease including bone loss
- cause asymmetrical development of the jaws
- cause dysfunctional chewing patterns
- make your smile less attractive